Education, Health and Care Plans

Education, Health and Life Planning for young people with significant education, health and care needs
Thumbs up in a circle

From September 2014 Statements of Special Educational Needs and Learning Difficulty Assessments were replaced by Education, Health and Care (EHC) plans.

Education, Health and Care plans (EHC Plan) set out what a child or young person wants to achieve (educational, health, and life goals) and what support they need to reach their goals. Many children find that as they grow older, they no longer need an EHC plan, or that they move onto accessing different support, for example, support available at their university or college. You must be in education to have an EHC plan.

Crucial: Usually it will be the school or learning provider applying for the EHC, but families can also make an application. You can find out how to apply for an Education Health and Care Plan here.

Everything together - with a future focus!

Your EHC plan puts all the support you need in one record, along with your goals and ambitions. This helps the different agencies that provide your education, health and social care support work more closely together. It also makes sure that your wishes, ambitions and aspirations are included. This helps you achieve your aims and get the best support.

Instant expert: Find out everything about EHC plans and watch the video 

EHC plan Reviews

You will have an Annual Review of your EHC plan every 12 months. If your needs change or you change educational settings, you can request an EHC plan review at any time. In Year 9, you begin to have a say in your future as you transition into adulthood and you will become more involved in your Annual Review.

Take Action: Learn about what happens when you have an Annual Review.

Support up to age 25

Education, Health and Care plans are for children and young people with a disability or special educational need that cannot be met without support in school or college. Many young people find that as they get older, their needs change, and that an EHC is not best for them any more.  

Some people do need more support though, and an EHC can continue until:

  • You leave education or training
  • You reach the age of 25
  • You go to university or get a job
  • You no longer want a plan, or the local authority agree with you that you no longer need a plan, or when you have reached your educational goals

If you have left learning and want to go back into learning, you can request an EHC plan up to the age of 25.

Crucial: You must be in education to have an Education, Health and Care plan. If you drop out of learning, then the plan will stop. Find out more.

What will my Education, Health and Care Plan include?

Every plan will be tailored to your particular needs so each one will be different.

Your plan will include information about you, how you like to communicate, what support you need and what you would like to achieve. This might include things like progressing to a job or apprenticeship, or going to college.

You and all the people who support you will be able to see the information in your plan, to make sure you get the best support.

Where can I get help to understand my plan?

Independent Supporters can help children and young people and their families who are having an assessment, or moving from their Statement of Special Educational Needs to an EHC plan. You can access an Independent Supporter through your school or SENDIASS.

Leave a Comment