Having your say about care

Here's how children in care can speak up about their lives.
apprenticeships advice fair

Having your say about care

It’s good to get involved so that your voice is heard and action can be taken to improve your life.

As a child or young person in care or leaving care, we recognise that you have a lot of knowledge and skills which would help us improve the care system and we want to hear from you!

Get involved!

There are various ways of getting involved in groups and forums so your views and opinions are heard and taken seriously. There are lots of opportunities to get involved. For example, you might want to:

  • help produce a newsletter or website
  • be involved with the Children in Care Council interview people for jobs do peer mentoring and help plan or be involved in events – both locally and nationally.  

Celebrate your success

We feel it is vital to celebrate the achievements of children and young people in care and leaving care so, every year, we hold a ‘Celebrating Children’s Award Celebration’ where children and young people are awarded a certificate for achievement.

Children in Care Council

The Children in Care Council (CICC) is a group of looked after children and young people, aged 12 to 21 (or up to 24 if in education). They are either in care or leaving care. They help us to make sure our services are doing the best they can for all children and young people in care.

The CICC encourages children and young people to talk about their experiences of the care system with adults who are in charge of it. Young members of the Council say it’s helpful because they now feel they can trust adults more and have realised that many do listen to them and respect their opinions. It has also boosted their self-esteem, skills and confidence

Making a complaint

You might want to complain about the service you are receiving or the way you have been treated. If any part of our services makes you unhappy, we want to hear about it so that we put things right, apologise if appropriate, and make sure we learn from what you tell us so it doesn’t happen again. Making a complaint will not disrupt your service.

Crucial: You can make a complaint online, by email, text, phone, post and in other ways on the Oxfordshire County Council website.

Who to talk to

Throughout your time in care you will always have access to people and organisations who are there to help you, including social workers, foster carers and more. Find out more about support for children in care.

Leave a Comment