It is even more important to stay happy, healthy and safe in winter, when we have the extra challenge of cold weather and darkness.
Staying safe when out and about
Over the festive season many of us have plans to celebrate, catch-up with loved ones and have fun. These simple tips should help to keep you safe whilst enjoying the festive season:
- Tell somebody where you're going and when you'll be back
- Carry a charged mobile and know who to call if you need help
- Check the weather forecast and dress for the weather
- Plan your route to be safe, familiar and well-lit, especially after dark
- If using public transport, know where to get on/ off and what time it stops running.
Take action: If you are aged 18+ and have plans to drink alcohol, know how to do this safely and keep you and others safe.
The government have recently updated the guidance on Covid-19 safety meaning that you must now wear face coverings in shops and on public transport (unless exempt). But keeping your distance from others and washing your hands regularly can also help to keep you safe.
Take action: If you're aged 12+ then you are eligible for a dose of the the Covid-19 vaccine. Find out more about the vaccine and book yours online.
Taking care of your mental wellbeing
- Stay connected with loved ones
- Stay as active as you can
- Talk your feelings through with someone you trust
- Get the right amount of sleep
- Take time to focus on yourself.
If these steps don't help - it's okay, there is always lots of help and support available.
Supporting a loved one
It can be difficult to know how to be there are support a loved one who may be struggling, but there are things that you can do to help.
- Keep inviting them to hang out
- Offer reassurance and kind words
- Remind them that you're there for them