Support for parents

Find support for parents of young people with special educational needs (SEN) or disabilities
Supportive Parents

All young people need the best support possible from their parents, carers and other supporting adults. Young people with challenges and disabilities are no different. There are organisations that can help parents and carers in different ways.

Some organisations  offer advice about support services, and give parents and carers the chance to meet up with other people in the same situation.  Other organisations can provide services such as advocacy.

Support through Oxfordshire County Council

The SEND Local Offer explains what learning, health and care services there are for children and young people aged 0-25 with Special Education Needs and Disabilities.

SENDIASS Oxfordshire (formerly Parent Partnership) helps parents, carers and others work together to give the best support to children with special educational needs.

It does this in a number of different ways.

  • Through information and training
  • By providing Independent Parental Supporters
  • By giving opportunities for people to get involved in council decision-making
  • Providing links with other organisations who can offer help and support.

This is an independent service which looks at the needs and voice of the young person with Special Educational Needs. The service also provides guides, leaflets, regular drop-in and information sessions and more.

Crucial: There are also groups for young people with SEN and disabilities. Visit  for more information see our Activities for the Disabled page.

Other Groups

There are lots of other parent support groups nationally and in Oxfordshire. You can find out about them here.

Leave a Comment