Education, Health and Care Plans

Education, Health and Life Planning for young people with education, health and care needs
Thumbs up in a circle
Special educational needs and disability: The local offer

This page is suitable for all readers. It is part of the Oxfordshire Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Local Offer. This collects together information, services and support for children and young people in Oxfordshire with special educational needs and disabilities and their families.

Education, Health and Care plans (EHC Plan) set out what a child or young person with additional needs wants to achieve (educational, health, and life goals) and what support they need to reach their goals.

You must be in education to have an EHC plan.

Crucial: Usually the school or learning provider apply for the EHC. Families can also make an application. More about applying for an Education, Health and Care Plan assessment in Oxfordshire.

Everything together - with a future focus!

Your EHC plan puts all the support you need in one record, along with your goals and ambitions. This helps the different agencies that provide your education, health and social care support work more closely together. It also makes sure that your wishes, ambitions and aspirations are included. This helps you achieve your aims and get the best support.

This video explains simply how EHC plans work and what to expect from assessments and reviews: 

EHC plan Reviews

EHC plans should be reviewed every year to check they still meet your needs. 

As children grow older, their needs change. Some children no longer need an EHC plan. Some may need to move onto accessing different support, for example, support available at a university or college. 

You should be involved in your EHC Plan. This makes sure you have a say in your future, so that your needs and ambitions are heard. This will help when you transition into adulthood.

Take Action: Learn about what happens when you have an Annual Review of your EHC Plan in Oxfordshire.

Support up to age 25

Your EHC can continue until:

  • You leave education or training
  • You reach the age of 25
  • You go to university or get a job
  • You no longer want or need a plan

Crucial: You must be in education to have an Education, Health and Care plan. If you drop out of learning, the plan will stop. If you go back into learning you can apply for an EHC again. 

Where can I get help to understand my plan?

Independent Supporters can help children and young people and their families who are having an assessment, or moving from their Statement of Special Educational Needs to an EHC plan. You can access an Independent Supporter through your school or SENDIASS.

Your local offer belongs to you!

The Local Offer explains support available to children and young people with special educational needs and disability. We hope you found this page helpful. If you would like anything changed, updated or added, please use this online form.

Find out more

Leave a comment or question

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.