Victims of Crime

Know what to do if you or someone you know has been a victim of crime.
comforting a friend

Many people will experience crime during their life, although being a victim of a serious crime is rare. You can support loved ones who have had a crime committed against them. If you, or someone you know have experienced crime:

  • Know what to do and who to tell
  • Be strong in yourself and know it is not your fault
  • Know how to get more support if you need it

Instant expert: Find out how to report a crime to Thames Valley Police.

Is it a crime?

When a crime has been committed, people want something done about it. But sometimes people don't want to report crime because:

  • They're afraid that someone will hurt them
  • They don’t want to be thought of as "telling" or "a grass"
  • They're not sure what they saw
  • They're not sure if it's really a crime

Knowing what to do can be difficult. Talk to someone you trust, like a parent or teacher.

Reporting a crime

Crimes should be reported to the police as soon as possible. In an emergency you should always dial 999. But you can report a crime at any time by call the non-emergency number 101. 

Don't want to report to the police?

There are other ways to report a crime if you don’t want to go to the police:

  • Hate crime can be reported on the Stop Hate UK on 0800 138 1625 or the Victims First on 0300 1234 148
  • Specialist support is available for adult (over 18) victims of sexual assaults.
  • Child Sexual Exploitation can be reported to the Kingfisher team.
  • Crimestoppers will allow you to tell someone about a crime anonymously.

Crucial: You can also contact Tell Mamma to report anti-Muslim hate crime of any kind, but in an emergency always call 999.

Find out more

Leave a comment or question

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.